Saturday, March 14, 2009

3 Things

I too will admit to reading the challenge. Also to issuing it, with the knowledge that I'd have to play along instead of sitting in an insulated ivory tower sending out edicts for others to complete. It made me cringe a little, AAMOF.

The challenge was meant to spur us shrinkers into action toward our goals, because I know too well that wishing does nothing to the waistline. Unless it's wishing for cookies, which are the wishes that come true much more often than wishes for millions of dollars or a sunny day or a letter from a particular person. Also, it was meant to be either 3 different things to do in a week, or one thing done 3 times in a week. I left it ambiguous because I only thought of it one way at the time...

My intended things were to join Tiff in the 100 Pushups and 200 Situps challenges, and to move more during the day. Here's how it went.

100 Push Ups is a website that has a program to get you doing 100 push ups in 6 weeks. Pretty self-explanatory, no? You start with an initial test, then follow a track suited to your test results. I've always been pretty good with push ups, so I started at Week 3, column 3. Already, after 4 days of exercise, I feel the difference in strength. I dunno if it's helping me lose any weight yet, but it certainly is helping with the capacity to lose weight (more muscle = more fat burning). Monday's weigh in will tell the tale...

200 Sit Ups is another website, just like the other one only different. Unlike the push ups, I've always sucked large at sit ups. Very very bad at them. My belly is more like Santa's than Brad Pitt's, and I've quit every time I've tried to work on my abs after very short attempts. This time I have a clear goal and a workout partner, and at one week I'm ahead of the last 10 years of efforts. Week one column one for me. Plus, I'm using the exerball instead of the floor to save back pain.

As for moving more, I took a cue from Chickie and did lots of yard work. Ground up the front lawn with a rototiller last weekend, and have spent 3 evenings raking out dead and dying plant material. For work, I took on a small roofing project, which always stretches the legs and has stair-climbing built in, and helped take down 4 trees on Friday. All walking, carrying, climbing, throwing. Also, played tennis one sunny day when it was 75 outside. The high hopes for more of that were dashed by 3 days of cold and rain (and counting).

I think the pushups and situps are making the biggest difference; I can feel it in my arms and gut even at rest. My eating habits are about the same over the last 3 weeks. I'm unlikely to start enjoying jogging, so I hope it's enough to keep me on track.

3 comments:

Middle Girl said...

I've been trying to re-introduce some weight training items too. I'm quite a ways away from being push-up ready, though.

Here's hoping the newer efforts will indeed have a positive results!!

Chickie said...

Me, yard work? Must be a different piggy.

Though I should probably do that since my scale went up last week...

db grin said...

whups!
I meant eb, which rhymes with Chickie if you have a mouthful of marshmallows...