Friday, January 23, 2009

Bit the Shed

Our somewhat trusty bathroom scale, which was purchased before the first Shrinking Piggies smackdown, has apparently gone schizophrenic.

It's a little disconcerting to weigh more after a good poop than before, but it can be overlooked since it's not an expensive piece of equipment. However, when one of us got on this morning and found the weight of a leg missing, and the other got on and was well over 300 pounds, I figured it's flown the coop. Bitten the dust. Given up the ghost of accuracy and justice.

Last time it died was just before our first weigh-in this month, but that was the batteries. It said so in broken robotese. I stepped aboard and it read '54tt', which I thought meant 'fat' until I tucked my belly between my knees and leaned in for a closer look. Battery replaced, the display lit up like when it was new. Until this week.

I know we're only weighing in weekly, but I was curious. The first number didn't make sense - I didn't feel 10 lbs heavier, so I stepped on again - and was 30 lbs lighter. One after another, it kept spewing random numbers like a lottery easy-pick generator.

Tonight, we got a mechanical scale (by the same company... cue ominous music). It said alternately that I'm 340, then 299, then 320. That thing is going straight back to the store.

Any recommendations on a scale that doesn't suck monkey butt?

7 comments:

eb said...

I don't have a suggestion but I think it is optimum to weigh oneself after a good poop.

Middle Girl said...

Duuude, how kismet-ty is this post? I have, right now in my "drafts" folder an email, a "Tale of Two Scales", I'll send that on once my experiements are complete.

As far as your query, no real suggestions, but I bought a Homedics Analog. The reviews (for the Homedics brand) were pretty decent and I didn't want another digital, electronic, combo weight, body mass indicator, memory,just a scale. Well, a reasonably reliable scale.

Ginamonster said...

OMG. I needed that laugh. It was a good, hearty one. Thank you.

rennratt said...

I use the WW digital scale. It works for me.

We purchased it at The Dirty Ho-Wuh (W*lM*rt) for around $25.

Anonymous said...

I can't remember the brand, but search for scales on Amazon... one brand got really great reviews for consistency. Man - wish I could remember what it was. Started with a O?

Lady Jane Scarlett said...

Yeah we're kickin' it old school with a no-batteries-needed rotary scale.

SagaciousHillbilly said...

I've found that you gotta spend at least $20 for a scale that's reliable. Like Renrat, I've got a WW digital that I bought at Rite-Aid for ~$25. It has worked great for 2 yrs. Never gives me different readings like some do.